Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Presidents' Day



Admittedly, in my house, this is no contest. These two estimable nineteenth-century minds shared a birthday in 1809, and between them they made the world a very different place. My personal fondness is sort of obviously with the scientist who utterly altered the way we understand the natural world and the power of unguided processes to generate order over long periods of time, but I'm still pretty impressed with our sixteenth American president.

To wit, it's worth noting that the recently evicted malfeasant isn't the only president to have appeared in a Satisfactory Comics production. (Lincoln is in that book several times, in fact.)

Indeed, my "fun" drawing of Lincoln has appeared in more than one of our publications.



In honor of Abraham Lincoln's two hundredth birthday, here's a color version of that panel, in which he takes to the waters and risks electrocution for the sake of our nation's unity.

Moreover, if you feel like some Lincoln linkin', here's Chris Sims's latest nomination for Greatest Comic Book of All Time.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Nice to see that L panel colored, though it might have been nicer still had you colored the caption in the purplish-red tone known as lake. (It's even named after an insect, the lac insect, so there's another Darwin-friendly aspect for you.)

Isaac said...

You know, I have a lot of fun coloring single panels from our previous output. Let me know if you ever have a request for a particular panel. I'm not doing the centerfold from SC 4, though.

Mike said...

Okay, then. The only one of our comics I have handy right now is ECJ #2 (featuring Hezekiah Sugata). It would be fun to see what you could do with the middle tier of "Penny Sandwiches."

If that's not what you're into, I may find another request later...

Isaac said...

Now I'm sort of thinking that I should publish these panels in color as a postcard series. That would be pretty fun, wouldn't it? Of course, I don't know who in his right mind would want a set of 26 postcards of my silly poetical doodles, enlarged. But I do always need more postcards...

Mike said...

It would also make a nifty poster. Suitable for teaching small fry the joys of:

(a) the alphabet;
(b) comics;
(c) general knowledge;
(d) rhyme and meter.