Saturday, May 28, 2011

Junior Woodchuck! Junior Woodchuck!



Not that kind of Junior Woodchuck, actually. I have to tag this post "not comics."

I know I have posted backyard wildlife photos before, but I don't think I have mentioned my favorite backyard denizen, whom I have been calling "Charles" since shortly after I moved in here.



Charles is a burly, surly woodchuck, who is prone to strike a pose not unlike the one found on the local cider label. He's skittish, and I don't have a zoom lens, so I rarely get a good picture of him, but it's good to know he's back there.



He seems to live under our garden shed. I see him a few times every summer, munching the flora of the back yard.

Well, today I spotted a different specimen of Marmota monax:



This new little fellow, designated Chip, is clearly a good deal smaller than Charles.



Below, for contrast, see Charles (on a different day) in the shadow of that same shrub:



And here is little Chip again:



The theory is now that Charles has secretly been a lady all along, and Chip is a new addition to the family. (Woodchucks have their babies in the spring, after the grownups are done hibernating.)

Here is Chip right by the garden shed. He's barely bigger than a squirrel, really.




You have to dig Chip's extreme cuteness.



Look at that little face!

No comments: