Saturday, October 27, 2007

Page 7, Inked

I had a cloudy bunch of pencils for page seven before I left town for SPX, and I'm only now, a couple of weeks later, done with the inks. But I've had a very busy couple of weeks.

The good news is that we've just got three pages to go. (The bad news, of course, is that we have to wrap up the story somehow in those three pages and still satisfy our final set of constraints.)

Here's the way page seven seems to have turned out. Please click on the picture to enlarge it to legible size.

That kick to the jaw, by the way, is totally dedicated to Chris Sims of the Invincible Super-Blog.

You may also wish to compare the thumbnail of p. 7 with this slightly distorted version of Marcel Duchamp's most famous painting, Nude Descending a Staircase.


This version of Nude Descending is wider than the original, so that I could put it under my page and lightbox the layout of the painting directly. In fact, I was still doing that when I had inked every one of the figures on the page, to get little areas of light and dark to "match up," not that it matters. Not very much of the original comes through, in the end, but I hope that some of the kinetic, multiplanar chaos carries over. When I color this image, I'll try to stick to a yellowy earthtone palette, which should help make the swipe more noticeable. (That will probably also make the captions easier to find in amid all those lines.)

I have to say, it was fun to draw the figures a little larger this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done, Isaac.

Mike said...

Yeah, man, that looks pretty sweet! (And I envy you the freedom of a full-page composition, since I'm still putting a lot of tiny figures into eleven wee panels on page 8.) And the iconic-speech word balloons look good in a group like that. Take a bow!

Isaac said...

I'm glad you guys are liking it. I hope Tom Motley's not disappointed that I "spoiled" the swipe. (He had emailed me suggesting that I not mention it, to see whether anyone caught the reference.)