Monday, August 20, 2012

Alphabooksbeasts: N is for Nagaina and Nag

Well, don't look too closely at this week's Alphabooks entry. I'm not very happy with it, and I'd draw it over again if I had time, but I've been preoccupied with other stuff.

So this is supposed to be N is for Nagaina (and Nag). They are, as you may remember, the mated pair of cobras who threaten the household in Kipling's "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" (in The Jungle Book). Nag is killed by a shotgun blast while fighting the eponymous mongoose, and Nagaina swears her revenge.


Cobras are cool-looking creatures, as we all know. Doing my image-searching for this post, I discovered that people do some pretty strange things with cobras.

Next week: a canine or two.

3 comments:

Ben Towle said...

Sadly, in most of those sorts of displays of "fearlessness" vs. a cobra, the poor animal's mouth has been sewn shut. Cobra's aren't for eatin'--they're for avoidin'!

Curious Art said...

Excellent choice! And very dramatic image. The cobra weirdness reminds me of the snake-handling churches in these here parts...

Mike said...

Are those bite marks from Rikki-Tikki-Tavi on Nag's back? Man, it's been a long time since I read those stories...despite my frequent sojourns at the house where Kipling wrote 'em!